Sunday, September 14, 2014

September 14, 2014: Life outside the bubble


I’m exhausted. The last few weeks have been wonderful, but taxing physically and mentally. As a result, I’ve spent this weekend doing nothing more than drinking coffee and having deep discussions with my friends in cozy places. My literary brain isn’t fully operational, but due to requests from family, here’s a somewhat tired update…

I’ve spent the last two weeks experiencing “real” Nepal, getting a small taste of the rural areas outside Kathmandu. The contrast between town and country in this place is unbelievable. I am once again sitting in a coffee shop on a rainy day, drinking my caramel latte and listening to music on my laptop, surrounded by white people doing pretty much the same thing, all of us cozy in our expat bubble, pretending we are home, ignoring the fact that we are not. This experience is the opposite of what I’ve been doing for the last two weeks. So opposite that my “field trip” seems more like a dream than reality.

For work, I spent fourteen days visiting more of our research sites in the mountains, hills, and terai of Nepal. This time I was more actively involved in the research and organized some group discussions with local Nepali women. Having an active role made the experience much more enjoyable than my first trip to the field, and although twice as long, the trip went by twice as fast.
Two weeks ago, I set out for Arghakhanchi, a village in the hills west of Nepal, crammed into a jeep with four colleagues and two drivers. On our seven (or was it eight?) hour trip, we sped down winding mountain roads with no guardrails, past huge trucks and buses, on the only main road that leads in or out of the Kathmandu Valley. We arrived in the town of Arghakhanchi in the evening, welcomed by the field staff and directed towards our luxurious hillside hotel room. I’ve now grown used to Nepali hotels. The questionable stains on sheets, ground-level toilet, bucket shower, and cohabitation with giant spiders and various other bugs was easier to adjust to once I stopped expecting an American-style hotel room wherever I go. While in Arghakhanchi, we hiked up to the top of the “hills” (higher than most of the mountains I’ve seen in the U.S.) to reach the research sites. Despite frequent leech checks, the hike was beautiful and (at least in my mind) the exercise balanced out the mountains of rice I inhaled every evening and gallons of sugar and whole milk with a splash of tea that I drank every day. I also did an early morning hike on our last day there to watch the sunrise over the hills.  Nestled in the clouds with panoramic views of terraced hillsides, it was hard to leave Arghakhanchi.

Unfortunately, our stay in the hills had to end, and we drove out of paradise down into hell. Or at least that’s what it felt like to me. As we drove south on winding roads towards our next destination, Banke district, I could feel the air getting hotter, the people getting meaner, and myself getting more depressed. Because I had such a hard time during our first visit to the terai in July, I was anxious about returning there and spending more time in the hot, flat, and to me, more depressing region. But to the terai we went. And after another long car ride (complete with a carsick driver) we arrived in the glorious city of Nepalgunj, one of Nepal’s “second largest cities.” Nepalgunj was hot, humid, and dusty. I spent the first day in misery, counting down the minutes until we could move on to the mountains. The A/C in our hotel room only worked when the power was on, which was not very often. I felt uncomfortable walking down the street because people stared at me more than in the hills, and the heat of the place seemed to make people less friendly in general. This is all my speculation, and I am very biased against the terai, but I have never felt so much hatred for a place and anxiety over being there as much as I have with the terai. This trip has made me realize more than anything that I am not a hot weather person. I sound like a spoiled westerner making these complaints, and I realize that there are many people who have it much worse than me, but when I am in a place that makes me feel so horrible, it is hard not to complain. But I did manage to spend three days there and after some rainfall and a successful meeting with local women for work, I know that I can manage in such a place if I must. Still, I was elated to board our tiny 20-seater plane and head off for our last, and best, destination: Jumla.

Jumla is a mystical place in the mountains famed in Nepal for its apples, cool weather, and fantastic views. Its climate was blessedly cool after Nepalgunj, with crisp mornings and nights cool enough to warrant a thick comforter and a long sleeved shirt. During the day, the sun shined bright and hot, and I definitely felt like I was a few thousand feet closer to the sun than in Kathmandu. We were so excited to eat organic apples not doused in chemicals that word of our apple obsession spread quickly among the field staff, and we were presented with a plate of them almost everywhere we went. The place had an interesting feel, with generally friendly people, but a sinister vibe at night. Alcoholism, especially among the men, is apparently a big problem there, and Jumla at night was not so welcoming as Jumla in the day. I’m not sure how much of this feeling was real though, and how much was invented in my mind because I’d been warned not to walk alone at night due to the drunk men walking around. Like so many places, I had my own preconceived idea of Jumla in my mind and when I finally visited, I molded what I saw to my preconceived notions. Is this good or bad? I don’t know, but a three-day stay in a place is not enough time to truly understand it, so I am left with my own opinions. Luckily, they are mostly positive.

When I got back to Kathmandu, someone asked me which place was my favorite. Both Arghakhanchi and Jumla were lovely and it was hard to leave both places. But, as often happens when I travel, I think I prefer the place that felt most like home: Jumla. I do not come from a mountainous area in the States, but I felt a sort of kinship with the people of Jumla because their hardship is partly due to the climate of their home. Jumla, like Paradise, gets heavy snowfall in the winter. I can empathize with a community that braces itself for a hard winter and emerges in the spring feeling like a battle has been fought and won. I can’t relate so well in Banke, where the weather war is against extreme heat, which must be endured, but cannot be escaped or conquered. Like I said, not a hot weather person.

So now I’m back in Kathmandu and quickly slipping back into my yoga-obsessed, coffee-drinking self. Most of my work from here on out will be in the office at a computer, and I will cherish my field visit and the memories of the wonderful people I met there. I’m not so enamored of Kathmandu after that trip, and plan to make more of an effort to get out of the city on the weekends and try not to hang out exclusively with expats. In two weeks, I will be going on a five-day trek in the mountains, and am excited for another chance to explore this beautiful country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment